maandag 6 februari 2012

The sad story of Belmondo

Jozef a cock like the unfortunate Belmondo



Surprises necessarily aren’t always equally pleasant. This isn’t a story concerning a well known French movie star but it will tell us the adventures of an unlucky pigeon. During the making of an interview I once met a fancier who was extremely successful with his pigeons.. He had given his flying heroes Italian sounding names like Orlando, Amora, Dorabella, and…… Don Corleone! What’s in a name!
Some time afterwards I visited a pigeon auction attended by very  few buyers. For the small amount of 35 euros I purchased a promising young dark Van der Wegen cock. 
And as I suddenly remembered those Italian baptized racing pigeons I consequently called my new recruit Belmondo Maybe the bird was going to fulfil the promises of its wonderful pedigree and romantic name.

Two years afterwards  one evening there was a phone call from Baarn. It was somewhere in the middle of august. 
A young lad with a soprano voice said:’ Sir, I’ve got here one of your pigeons. It is number 26.’ 
I was glad to hear that it was my favourite twenty-six, a young chequers hen. I had lost her a fortnight earlier racing from Morlincourt in France. The flying conditions were difficult; it had been a hot day with a dry wind blowing from the east. Up till then the chequers 26 had been  the first arrival at my loft four times; a promising result.

However the caller killed my joy in telling me: ’She ‘s dead , Sir. Last night we had a cloud burst here. There was blowing halve a gale. Your bird must have come into collision with our Farmhouse. After the heavy rainfall she was lying somewhere in the puddles on our yard.’
I said that I wanted to come and get my pigeon the next day anyway. The  young Soprano told he lived somewhere on the river Eems in the polder land of Baarn.
’I have  to attend school on Monday, Sir, but my father and Granddad won’t be far off. Really Sir, don’t bother to come,’ he resumed, ’ but it’s better for you when I throw that pigeon in the trash can. It  will never ever fly again. It ‘s as dead as a doornail, ’he joked. 

driving along the winding river Eem
But I persisted in bringing home my pitiful pigeon. ’ It was nice of you to call me, ’I said, ’now at least  I know what happened to  one of my stray birds.'
 
The next Monday morning, after having lost my way a couple of times I finally found the  little farm near the  winding river. 
The farmer who was just driving about with his tractor  between his dilapidated barns shouted and pointed out: ‘ Oh you must come for that stupid pigeon, over there near the backyard door.’ 

I  hesitated and slowly walked in the indicated direction; and there in a plastic bag that once contained fertilizers was the skeleton of my 26, she spread an abominable smell. That indeed  was an unexpected surprise . No feather neither any meat was left on the  bones. 
An inspection of the number on the pigeon’s  ring gave me the second shock. It wasn’t at all my dear  promising blue chequers twenty six. 
Those remains weren’t hers. The skeleton belonged tot the 62, my Belmondo, the dark cock that  I sent on a long-distance race from Bergerac three weeks before.
My telephone boy with his cracking voice had sardonically said something like’ Sir, I think, she possibly collided with an object during the heavy showers.’ He was a nice one! Moreover he had been mixing up the numbers.

The tower of the city of Amersfoort nicknamed' Long John

The busy farmer now descended from his tractor, but kept the engine running. He said: ’Some bird of prey greedily consumed that pigeon. She must have been washed away from the gutter of the house last night during  that thunderstorm. She won’t be of any use to you in that condition.’ He shook his head and resumed his work.
Now suddenly Granddad emerged from the back of the farmhouse. He badly wanted  a chat. ‘These pigeon are they expensive,’ he asked. ‘People tell you can earn quite a lot racing them birds.’
“What’s the value of your cows,’ I answered bitterly smiling.
‘Well’, he replied ignoring my annoyance, ‘If they produce enough milk, when they have a good pedigree and are winning prizes on a cattle show, then you can receive quite an amount of money. Then your cows get ribbons and every now and then you may win a challenge cup.
I threw the bag with Belmondo’s bones into the boot of my car, said Granddad goodbye and drove away.
In the hazy and sunny  distance I saw Amersfoort’s Long John.  Perhaps my unlucky pigeon had also seen that tower and yet he had lost his bearings in sight of the harbour. 
And so day dreaming  I again lost my way in the lovely land between Baarn and my hometown. Belmondo: of course, that meant beautiful world.

c.u.
Kijk voor de nederlandse versie bij onderstaande link 
http://binnenpark.blogspot.com/2011/03/het-trieste-einde-van-de-duif-belmondo.html

Geen opmerkingen: